Camp Murphy (1942-1944) - A U.S. Army camp established in 1942 during World War II in Martin County, Florida. Named for Lieutenant Colonel William Herbert Murphy, who was a pioneer in the development of radio beams and equipment for military aircraft. Abandoned in 1944.
Ground was broken for Camp Murphy on 13 Mar 1942 by the U.S. Army Signal Corps. The post was established to train U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps personnel to operate and maintain highly secret SCR-268 radar equipment. The camp was built quickly on 11,364 acres of land and formally opened on 5 Jul 1942. The post came to house some 854 officers and 5,752 enlisted personnel in over 1000 post buildings. The high-frequency radar set SCR-268 was quickly obsoleted by newer microwave radar sets and the post was no longer needed.
Camp Murphy was deactivated in 1944 and used to house migrant laborers into 1945. The buildings were sold and removed in 1946 and on 9 Jun 1947, the land was transferred to the State of Florida for use as a park. Jonathan Dickinson State Park opened in 1950.
Part of Jonathan Dickinson State Park, Martin County, Florida.