Camp Ojo Caliente (1859-1861, 1877-1882) - A U.S. Army camp first established in 1859 in Socorro County, New Mexico. Abandoned in 1861 at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War. Reestablished in 1879 during the late Apache Wars. Abandoned in 1882. Also known as Post of Ojo Caliente.
History of Camp Ojo Caliente
Established in 1859 as an outpost of Fort Craig. Nine adobe buildings were built and the post was garrisoned by troops from Fort Craig. Abandoned after the beginning of the U.S. Civil War in 1861.
Reestablished in 1879 as the Apache Wars flared up. Garrisoned by elements of the 9th U.S. Cavalry, "Buffalo Soldiers". In September 1879 the herd of Company E was attacked by a band of Apache under Victorio. The entire guard was killed and the Apache made off with the whole herd, 46 horses, 18 mules and 4 officer's horses. Victorio and his band attacked Fort Tularosa in May 1880 but were driven off when reinforcements arrived. Victorio was forced to flee to Mexico where he was killed later in 1880.
The post was abandoned in the spring of 1882, the last post return is dated March 1882.
Location: Near Monticello in Socorro County, New Mexico. Map point is from the GNIS coordinates and may not be accurate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 33.5320116 Long: -107.5936501
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 6,814'
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 528.
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 101-102
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 103-104
- Post returns available May 1879 - Mar 1882 at Ancestry.com (by Subscription)
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 934407