Camp Reno (1867-1870) - A U.S. Army post established in 1867 in the Tonto Valley in present day Maricopa County, Arizona. Named for General Marcus A. Reno (Cullum 1779). Abandoned in 1870.
Camp Reno History
Camp Reno was a temporary adobe and frame post built with a surrounding stockade. The post was an outpost of Fort McDowell established in October 1867 and was used in operations against hostile Apache Indians. Abandoned on 8 Mar 1870.
Maricopa County, Arizona
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 27208
Location: Beeline Highway at N Fort McDowell Road, Maricopa County, Arizona. Markers only.
Maps & Images
Lat: 33.5803221 Long: -111.6781936
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 45
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2,page 15