Camp Sabinal (1856-1856) - A temporary U.S. Army Camp established in 1856 along the west bank of the Sabinal River near the Town of Sabinal, Uvalde County, Texas. Named Camp Sabinal after the location. Abandoned by the u.S. Arny in November 1856.
Established by Captain Albert G. Brackett, 2nd U.S. Cavalry, on 12 Jul 1856, to provide protection for travelers along the San Antonio-El Paso Road.
Abandoned by U.S. troops in November 1856.
Probably used by Texas Rangers during the U.S. Civil War.
Location: Just west of Sabinal on U.S. 90 in Uvalde County, Texas. Map point is the marker location.
Maps & Images
Lat: 29.31373 Long: -99.48237
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 774.