Camp San Luis Rey
Camp San Luis Rey (1847-1852) - A Mormon Battalion Camp first established in 1847 on the site of Mission San Luis Rey de Francia in present day Oceanside, San Diego County, California. Briefly reestablished in 1849 by 1st Lt. Clarendon J. Wilson (Cullum 1280) and Company E, 1st U.S. Dragoons and again in 1850-1852 by Major Edward H. Fitzgerald and Companies A & E, 1st U.S. Dragoons. Abandoned in 1852. Also known as Post of San Luis Rey.
History of Camp San Luis Rey
First established in early 1847 by the Mormon Battalion on the site of Mission San Luis Rey de Francia to protect travelers. The mission had been abandoned after secularization in the 1830s and was in disrepair but still habitable. The Spanish/Mexican soldiers barracks outside the walls of the mission is shown in sketches of the time (1850) as being in good condition with a tower and several apartments. The Spanish and later the Mexican government had kept a small garrison at the mission averaging 16 soldiers even for a while after secularization in 1835.
The Mormon Battalion arrived in the San Diego area on 29 Jan 1847 and was dispersed to several locations including Mission San Luis Rey arriving in January 1847 and departing in April 1847. The Battalion was mustered out five months later on 16 Jul 1847. Some 80 members reenlisted for an additional six months service.
The post was briefly reestablished in 1849 by 1st Lt. Clarendon J. Wilson and Company E, 1st U.S. Dragoons and again in 1850-1852 by Major Edward H. Fitzgerald and Companies A & E, 1st U.S. Dragoons. Both companies were withdrawn on 20 Apr 1851 and marched to Benicia Barracks leaving behind a small detachment commanded by 1st Lt. Francis E. Patterson, 1st U.S. Artillery. The post was abandoned in July 1852.
Stabilized military barracks ruins at the Mission San Luis Rey de Francia in Oceanside, San Diego County, California.
Visited: 22 Jan 2013