Camp Stanley (1917-Present) - A U.S. Army camp established in 1917 north of San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas. First designated Camp Funston (2), after Major General Frederick Funston who commanded the Southern District and who died at San Antonio 8 May 1917. There was already another Camp Funston (1) in Kansas so the camp was quickly renamed Camp Stanley for Brigadier General David S. Stanley (Cullum 1544), a commander of the Department of Texas. Part of Leon Springs Military Reservation. Active military installation now known as Camp Stanley Storage Activity.
Initial 17,273 acres of land acquired in 1907-1908 near Leon Springs, Bexar County, Texas. The reservation was intended to provide firing ranges and maneuver areas for units stationed at Fort Sam Houston and was designated an infantry cantonment.
In 1922 Camp Stanley was designated a sub post of Camp Travis. The San Antonio Arsenal was transferred to Camp Stanley in 1931 and troop training ended. The post was transferred to the ordnance department in 1947. Now a sub post of Camp Bullis.
Active Military Installation, Camp Stanley Storage Activity, Bexar County, Texas.
Visited: 26 Nov 2011