Camp Stanton (1)
Camp Stanton (1) (1861-1862) - A Union U.S. Civil War training Camp first established as Camp Schouler in 1861 near Lynnfield, Essex County, Massachusetts. Originally named for Massachusetts Adjutant-General William Schouler. Renamed Camp Stanton in 1862 after Edwin M. Stanton, Lincoln's then Secretary of War. Abandoned as a training camp at the end of 1862.
This training camp was located at the crossroads of then Newburyport Turnpike and the Salem Road in Lynnfield, Essex County, Massachusetts. The area is now overbuilt by by a large cloverleaf and commercial buildings at exit 44 of IH-95.
The camp was established early in 1861 and designated as the primary training camp for three-year enlistment regiments from eastern Massachusetts. The Camp was active through the second half of 1861 but was empty of trainees early in 1862 due to the pause in federal calls for troops. After Lincoln issued a call on 2 Jul 1862, for 300,000 volunteers for a three-year term of service, the camp was reactivated and remained active through the fall of 1862 until the last of the regular three-year regiments left on 5 Nov 1862.
Abandoned as a training camp at the end of 1862.
The Camp area is now overbuilt by a large cloverleaf and commercial buildings at Exit 44, IH-95 in Lynnfield, Massachusetts. No visible remains or markers.