Camp Union (1)
Camp Union (1) (1861-1866) - A temporary U.S. Civil War training camp established for California Union Volunteers in 1861. Abandoned in 1866 after the end of the war.
First established on a racetrack across the Sacramento River from Suttersville, it was moved in November 1861 to a location close to the current Sacramento Zoo grounds at the corner of Suttersville Road and S. Land Park Drive. During the U.S. Civil War Camp Union served as a training center for the 5th California Infantry Volunteers under Bvt. Brigadier General George W. Bowie and trained some 5000 troops for service in the conflict. At the end of the war it served as a mustering out place for returning veterans. The camp was abandoned in 1866 after the close of the war.
Only a marker exists at the north corner of Suttersville Road and S. Land Park Drive in Sacramento, Sacramento County, California.
Visited: 8 Aug 2009