Camp Wood (2)
Camp Wood (2) (1898-1898) - A temporary Spanish American War Muster in Camp first established in 1898 alongside the San Antonio River in San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas. Named Camp Wood after Colonel Leonard Wood, first commander of the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry. Abandoned in 1898.
History of Camp Wood (2)
Established 5 May 1898 by Colonel Leonard Wood, first commander of the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry during the Spanish American War. While Colonel Wood was the first commander of the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry the Unit later became known as Teddy Roosevelt's "Rough Riders" after Lt. Colonel Theodore Roosevelt, the second in command who succeeded him. The campsite was located at the Riverside Park across from the fairgrounds. The Menger Hotel Bar in San Antonio was favorite a favorite hangout of the "Rough Riders".
Abandoned on 30 May 1898 when the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry left for the embarkment camp at Tampa.
Marker only, the camp was located in the present day Riverside Golf Course, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas.
Visited: 22 May 2015