Camp Wright (1) (1865-1866) - Established 3 Oct 1865 by Capt. Loren L. Williams, Company H, 1st Oregon Volunteer Infantry, and named after Brig. Gen. George Wright who drowned in the sinking of the ship Brother Jonathan. Abandoned in early 1866 after just a few months of operation.
Camp Wright History
The site was selected after a running fight with about 75 - 100 hostile Indians that lasted seven hours and brought the troops back to the point where the fight started.
Location: South of Burns, Harney County, Oregon, on Rt 205 (Frenchglen Rd) to Island Ranch Road. Location point is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 43.44990 Long: -118.91770
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 4,100'
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 138
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 154
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads