Canoe Camp (2)
Canoe Camp (2) (1805) - A Lewis and Clark Expedition Camp established in 1805 along the Clearwater River near present-day Orofino, Clearwater County, Idaho. Used by the expedition to construct five dugout canoes for the journey to the Pacific coast. Abandoned in 1805 after twelve days.
It was established on 24 Sep 1805 on a site selected by Captain William Clark with trees suitable for constructing dugout canoes. Although many of the crew were sick from overeating the unfamiliar Nez Perce foods, they did manage to build five dugout canoes in a period of twelve days
The Corps of Discovery left Canoe Camp on 6 Oct 1805 traveling down the Clearwater River toward the Columbia River and the Pacific coast. The expedition had cached their saddles and equipment for the return trip and they left their horses in the care of the Nez Perce. There were 38 horses in total, each branded with a stirrup iron, turned over to a chief and his two sons for safekeeping until the expedition returned.
Part of the Lewis-Clark Canoe Camp State Park in Orofino, Idaho. Markers and a replica canoe on site. Modern-day survey markers were placed here and at other Lewis & Clark sites in 2005.
Visited: 22 Jun 2017