Cedar Fort (1852-1872) - A Mormon settler fortification first established in 1852 during the Walker Indian War (1854-1855) era. Located in the town of Cedar Fort, Utah County, Utah. Probably abandoned as a fortification after the end of the Ute Black Hawk War (1865-1872).
Established in 1852 at the request of Brigham Young. The new Fort was to protect the town against hostile Indian attacks before and during the Walker Indian War (1853-1854). The initial fortification was built of cedar logs and was temporarily abandoned several times.
The Fort was rebuilt in 1855 with a protective masonry wall 133 feet square. The wall was built ten feet high and four feet thick of stone and adobe.
The fort was raided by soldiers from the nearby U.S. Army's Camp Floyd in 1858 in revenge of the killing of a sergeant from Camp Floyd. Briefly garrisoned by Army troops in 1863
Probably abandoned as a fortification in 1874 after the end of the Ute Black Hawk War (1865-1872).
No marker could be found but remains were found of the masonry wall.
Visited: 12 Oct 2018