Cobble Hill Fort
Cobble Hill Fort (1776-1781) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established in 1776 in present day Brooklyn, Kings County, New York. Captured by the British in 1776 and used by them during the occupation of New York City until dismantled and leveled by them in 1781. Also known as Fort Corkscrew and the Spiral Fort. The site was reused during the War of 1812 for Fort Swift.
History of Cobble Hill Fort
A Patriot Revolutionary War fort established early in 1776 as a three of four gun redoubt at the top of a conical hill known as Cobble Hill. This fortification was also known as Fort Corkscrew and the Spiral Fort because of a line of entrenchments that wound up the hill from the base to the top.
This fort signaled the landing of the British on Long Island with two guns in August 1776. General George Washington reportedly viewed the fighting in Brooklyn from Cobble hill Fort on 27 Aug 1776. A plaque recording this event is located on a former bank building at the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Court Street.
The fort was captured by the British in September 1776 and used by them during the occupation of New York City (1776-1783). Dismantled and leveled by the British on 3 Jul 1781.
A plaque is located on a former bank building (now Trader Joe's) at the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Court Street in Brooklyn. The exact location of the fort is reported as being bounded by Atlantic Avenue, Court Street, Pacific Street, and Clinton Street but the removal of the hill has removed all traces of both forts.