East Branch Tower
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
East Branch Tower (1846-1870) - A Martello tower defense established in 1846 on Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Abandoned as a fortification in 1870.
East Branch Tower History
Built as one of six Martello towers between 1846-1848 in Kingston Harbor during the height of the boundary dispute with the United States known as the "Oregon Crisis". The six towers are listed below:
The six Martello towers were (West to East):
- Murney Tower at the western edge of Kingston
- Shoal Tower in Kingston Harbor
- Fort Frederick Tower at Fort Frederick
- West Branch Tower at Fort Henry
- East Branch Tower at Fort Henry
- Cathcart Tower on Cedar Island
This tower was built at the end of the east branch of the Fort Henry ditch to defend the ditch and the surrounding waters. The tower was designed to mount a single 24-pounder cannon on the top platform of the tower. After 1863 the tower was used as family housing for fort enlisted men.
The advent of rifled cannon during the U.S. Civil War made the masonry Martello towers obsolete and ineffective as defensive structures. The towers continued in use as barracks and for other support functions until the departure of British troops in 1870 after Canadian Confederation.
Not open to the public. On Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Location: On Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
Maps & Images Lat: 44.229187 Long: -76.458471
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 29 Jul 2012
East Branch Tower Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!