Fort Allen (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Allen (2) (1775, 1814-1815) - A Revolutionary War fortification established in 1775 by patriot forces in Portland, Cumberland County, Maine. Named for Colonel Ethan Allen who captured Fort Ticonderoga in May 1775. Used as a hospital during the War of 1812 and abandoned in 1815. Also known as Fort Ethan Allen.
Fort Allen (2) History
Initially built with five guns in a crescent shaped battery for the defense of Portland, Maine. It was later enlarged to include a barracks and magazine. In the War of 1812 parts of the fort were used as a hospital.
Part of Fort Allen City Park in Portland, Cumberland County, Maine. Two civil war era guns are emplaced on period earthworks.
Location: Fort Allen City Park, Portland, Cumberland County, Maine.
Maps & Images Lat: 43.665595 Long: -70.240752
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 357
Visited: 18 Jun 2012
Fort Allen (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!