Fort Andros (1688-1694) - An English colonial era fort first established in 1688 as Fort Andros along the Androscoggin River in present-day Brunswick, Sagadahoc County, Maine. Probably named for then Governor Edmund Andros, Governor of the Dominion of New England (1686-1689). Destroyed during King William's War by the French and their Indian allies in 1694. Also known as Pejepscot Fort and alternatively spelled as Fort Andross.
The repurposed 1834 Cabot Mill Building on the Site of Fort George and Fort Andros. The marker for both forts is located at the entrance on the right.
History of Fort Andros
Established in 1688 just before the start of King William's War (the first French & Indian War) by the Colonial Militia at the direction of the New England Governor Edmund Andros. The Fort was built of rock in a zigzag pattern below present-day Bow Street.
The Fort was destroyed in 1694 during King William's War by the French and their Indian allies and was not rebuilt. Fort George was later built near the site of the old Fort Andros in 1715.
Fort Andros/Fort George Marker
Marker only, the site is overbuilt with modern structures and parking lots.
Location: Reportedly South of Bow Street, Brunswick, Sagadahoc County, Maine.
Maps & Images
Lat: 43.91667 Long: -69.96611
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: .....'
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 363.
- Wheeler, George A. and Henry W., History of Brunswick, Topsham, and Harpswell, Boston, A. Mudge & Sons (printers), 1878, 1006 pages, Pdf, p. 625.
Visited: 27 May 2018