Fort Augusta (4)
Fort Augusta (4) (1718-1821) - A Colonial Era Fort established in 1718 by Dr. Oliver Noyes near Small Point in present-day Sagadahoc County, Maine. Named Fort Augusta after the small fishing village of Augusta. Abandoned as a fortification by 1821. Assigned Location ID ME00023.
Established in 1718 as a one hundred foot square stone fort for the purpose of protecting the Maine colony settlers from hostile Indians. The settlement and fort remained until about 1821.
"The stone fort occupied the summit of a commanding knoll at a short distance east of the shore, on a space reserved from the house lots, about midway between the north and the south sides of the projected village, and was favorably situated for defense against all Indian assaults. Its four walls, about fifty feet each in length, were placed in diamond form, with flankers of the same shape, about twelve feet on a side, projecting from the east and west angles. The fireplace and chimney, as appears from the bricks now remaining, were on the north angle. The gate was on the side nearest the bay."
The colonial government of Massachusetts initially supplied a detachment of soldiers under Captain Penhallow to garrison the fort but they were later withdrawn and the inhabitants were left to provide protection for themselves. Abandoned as a fortification by 1821.
The ruins of this fort remained visible into the 20th century with some of its foundations and walls well preserved. The whole outline was then easily traceable.