Fort Bailey (1855-1856) - Established during the Rogue River Indian War in 1855. The post was a tavern known as the Grave-creek house which was occupied by volunteer Oregon troops during the Rogue River Indian War of 1855. Named for Captain Joseph Bailey, Company A, 1st Btn, Oregon Mounted Volunteers.
Location: In the Grave Creek hills about 25 miles south of Roseburg and above Cow Creek,
at or close to the town of Wolf Creek, Josephine County, Oregon.
Maps & Images
Lat: 42.68333 Long: -123.38333
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 1,470'
- Victor, Frances Fuller, The Early Indian Wars of Oregon: compiled from the Oregon Archives and other Original Sources with Muster Rolls, Farnk C. Baker, State Printer, Salem, Oregon, 1894, page 368
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 132
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 365
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads