Fort Baker (3) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1861 in Southeast Washington DC. Named Fort Baker after Colonel Edward Dickinson Baker who was killed at Balls Bluff 21 Oct 1861. The Fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Baker
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in August 1861 as an earthwork with a perimeter of 492 yards and emplacements for 22 guns. Armament included three 8" siege guns, two 24 pounder howitzers, eight 10" Parrott rifles, and seven 24 pounder smoothbore cannons.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Baker, Lieut. William Cook commanding. – Garrison, one company Sixth Unattached Heavy Artillery, Massachusetts Volunteers – 1 officer, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 136 men. Armament, eight 10-pounder Parrotts, seven 24-pounder barbette, two 24-pounder F. D. howitzers, three 8-inch siege howitzers, one Coehorn mortar, one 10-inch mortar. Magazines, two: dry and in good condition. Ammunition, full supply and in good condition. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drilled some at artillery and infantry; not efficient. Garrison sufficient for a guard."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers in Washington DC.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 530173
Location: Southeast Washington DC.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.86222 Long: -76.96417
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 133.
- NPS Civil War Defenses of Washington - Appendix E: General Reports About the Defenses