Fort Beauregard (3)
Fort Beauregard (3) (1861-1865) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War post established in 1861 in Beaufort County, South Carolina. Captured by Union forces in November 1861. Abandoned in 1865. May also be known as Union Fort Seward (3).
Part of the Harbor Defense of Port Royal Sound.
Fort Beauregard was built out early in the U.S. Civil War as a 13 gun Confederate earthworks located at Bay Point on Phillips Island in Port Royal Sound. Fort Walker (2) was the companion fort on the opposite side of the sound at Hilton Head.
Both forts came under attack on 3 Nov 1861 from Admiral Samuel DuPont's fleet that included three brigades of infantry under General Thomas W. Sherman. Fort Walker (2) was captured on 7 Nov 1861 and the commander of Fort Beauregard ordered that fort abandoned. The fort was occupied by Union forces the next day and may have been renamed Fort Seward (3) after capture.
The Fort remained in Union hands for the duration of the war.
Beaufort County, South Carolina.