Fort Belknap (1) (1871-1886) - Established for Durfee & Peck of the Northwest Company as a fur trading post in 1871. Named after William W. Belknap, U.S. Secretary of War (1869 – 1876). Discontinued in 1886.
Location: Southwest of Chinook, Blaine County, Montana, off of Hwy 529 on the south bank of the Milk River.
Maps & Images
Lat: 48.58056 Long: -109.2625
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 68
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 467