Fort Bennett (3)
Fort Bennett (3) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1861 in present day Arlington County, Virginia. Named Fort Bennett in G.O. 18, 30 Sep 1861, after Captain Michael P. Bennett, 28th New York Infantry, who supervised construction of the fort. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort BennettArlington Line.
Established in May 1861 as a small enclosed earthwork of Fort Corcoran with a perimeter of 146 yards and emplacements for five guns. Armament included two 8" howitzers and three 24 pounder cannons.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Bennett, Major Maguire commanding.–Garrison, one company Second New York Heavy Artillery–2 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 117 men. Armament, three 24- pounder siege guns and two 8-inch sea-coast howitzers. Magazine., one; leaks in places. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, fair. Discipline, fair. Garrison sufficient for the work."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, marker only in Arlington County, Virginia.