Fort Benson (1856-1857) - A settler earthwork fort first established in 1856 in present day Colton, San Bernardino County, California. Named Fort Benson after the builder, Jerome Benson. Abandoned in 1857.
History of Fort Benson
Established in 1856 by a settler named Jerome Benson during a land dispute. Benson erected an earthworks fort and positioned an old brass cannon on the works to defend his claims. The dispute became moot when the majority of Mormons in the area were recalled back to Utah during the Mormon War. The fort was abandoned in 1857.
Marker only in Colton, San Bernardino County, California.