Fort Berry (1863-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1863 in present day Arlington County, Virginia. Named Fort Berry after Major General Hiram G. Berry, 4th Maine Infantry, who was killed at Chancellorsville 2 May 1863. The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Berry
Fort Berry was also one of 33 forts on the Virginia side of the Potomac River that made up an outer defense line for Washington DC known as the Arlington Line.
Established in August 1863 as a redoubt with a perimeter of 215 yards and emplacements for 10 guns. Initial armament included two 8-inch howitzers and two 4.5in siege rifles.
A 17 May 1864 inspection report reported the following: "Fort Berry, Major Cook commanding.–Garrison, one company First Connecticut Heavy Artillery–1 ordnance-sergeant [sic]. Armament, four 24-pounder field howitzers, two 4_-inch ordnance, two 8-inch howitzers. Magazines, one; dry and in good condition. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, ordinary. Discipline, fair. Garrison is sufficient."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, marker only. The fort was located at the intersection of 16th and Monroe Street in Arlington County, Virginia.