Fort Berthold (2)
Fort Berthold (2) (1858-1874) - A fur trading post established in 1858 as Fort Atkinson by Charles Larpenteur and associates in present day McLean County, North Dakota. Purchased by the American Fur Company in 1862 and renamed Fort Berthold probably after Bartholomew Berthtold, brother in law of fur trader Pierre Chouteau. Co-occupied by Captain Abraham B. Moreland and a company of 6th Iowa Volunteer Cavalry in 1864. The Army troops departed 1867 for the new Fort Stevenson nearby. Abandoned as a trading post in 1874.
Underwater in Lake Sakakawea, McLean County, North Dakota