Fort Bigham (1754-1756, 11760-1763) - A settler French & Indian War Fort established in 1754 on the Trader's Path near Mifflintown, Juniata County, Pennsylvania. Named Fort Bigham after landowner Samuel Bigham. Attacked and destroyed by the French and their Indian allies in 1756. Rebuilt in 1760 and abandoned in 1763. This name is also spelled Bingham in some references, cross referenced to Fort Bingham.
History of Fort Bigham
A settler fort established on the plantation of Captain Samuel Bigham in 1754 by Samuel Bigham, John Gray, James Gray (2) and Robert Hoag. This was a blockhouse and stockade intended to provide protection for the men and their families from frequent hostile Indian attacks.
The fort was attacked and captured by the French and their Indian allies on 11 Jun 1756 while some of the men were away. The occupants of the fort were mostly women and children and they were either killed or taken captive by the attackers. Some were burned up in the fort when the Indians set fire to it and others were killed and scalped as they tried to escape. In all, 5 people in the fort or the vicinity were killed and 18 captured. The fort and stockade were burned down and abandoned.
The defense was rebuilt about 1860 but abandoned and burned down again in 1763.
Pennsylvania State Marker at 5813 William Penn Hwy (Route 3002) Mifflintown, PA. Stone Marker at the intersection of Rt.75 and SR 3006, Mifflintown, PA. The stone marker is reportedly close to the actual site.