Fort Black Rock (1)
Fort Black Rock (1) (1776-1865) - A Patriot Revolutionary War fort established in 1776 at Morris Cove in present day New Haven, Connecticut. Named after the rock formation on which it was built. Rebuilt in 1809 as a Second System fortification and Named Fort Hale after the Revolutionary War hero, Nathan Hale. Rebuilt during the U.S. Civil War on a nearby site and abandoned at the end of the war in 1865. Also known as Black Rock Fort, Little Fort, Rock Fort and Fort Nathan Hale.
Established as a three gun fort with a blockhouse in 1776 at the beginning of the Revolutionary War. Attacked by the British in July 1779 the fort was commanded by a lieutenant with a garrison of only 19 men. The garrison delayed the landing of British troops but was forced to retreat. The fort was destroyed.
The fort was rebuilt in 1809 as a part of the Second System of U.S. Coastal fortifications. The new fort was built like many of the Second System fortifications in an eliptical shape with stone and brick and armed with six guns. At the beginning of the war it was renamed Fort Hale and garrisoned with some 78 men.
The derelict remains of the 1809 fort were demolished in 1861 at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War and a new earthworks fort was constructed. The earthworks fort was dismantled after the end of the war.
The site was deeded to the City of New Haven for use as a park in 1890. In 1976 reproductions of Fort Black Rock and the U.S. Civil War earthworks Fort Hale were dedicated, marking the completion of a nine-year restoration project in Fort Nathan Hale Park.
Part of Fort Hale City Park. Restoration/reproductions of both Fort Black Rock and Fort Hale.
Visited: 10 Jun 2016