History of Fort Bridgman
Orlando Bridgman built his fort in 1737 in present-day Vernon, in Windham County, Vermont. Fort Bridgman was constructed of squared yellow pine logs laid lengthwise, crossed at the corners and fastened with wooden pins. This was a 20 by 38 foot, two-story fortification, with the upper level projecting over the lower level providing a field of fire through loopholes in the walls. The compound was surrounded by a twenty foot high sharpened picket fence.
King George's War (1744-1748)
Fort Bridgman became one of sixteen forts established in a line from Fort Dummer to Fort Massachusetts to protect settlers from attacks by the French and their hostile Indian Allies during King George's War. On 24Jun 1746, a band of hostile Indians attacked the fort, two men were killed and the fort was burned to the ground. The fort was rebuilt but it was again attacked by the French and hostile Indians and burnt to the ground on 22 Oct 1747. The fort was again rebuilt and survived through the end of King George's War.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
Fort Bridgman was attacked during the French & Indian War on 27 Jun 1755 and burnt to the ground for the third time. In this attack Caleb Howe was killed and fourteen settlers were taken captive and marched to Canada. Caleb's widow Jemima and her seven children were among the captives. One of the children died on the march and Jemima was separated from the rest. She was eventually released and made her way back to Vermont where some of the remaining family was reunited. The fort was rebuilt and remained standing in dilapidated condition until 1838.
DAR marker and flagpole only. Located off Hwy 142 next to an unmarked road. The site is sandwiched between the back of a cornfield and a tree line. Look for the flag on the left as you drive down the road. A second marker for Caleb Howe's wife is located a bit further south next to North Cemetery under the name Jemima Tute (1723-1805).
Visited: 20 Jul 2012