|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Briggs (1855-1856) - A stockaded settler house converted to a fortification during the Rogue River Indian War of 1855-56. This fort protected settlers from the Sucker Creek area in the Illinois River Valley, Josephine County, Oregon. Abandoned for military purposes at the end of the war.
Rogue River Indian War (1855-1856)
A stockaded settler log house converted to a fort on the land donation claim of George E. Biggs (section 35, twp 39 south, range 8 west) during the Rogue River Indian War. The fort provided shelter for some 80 settlers along Sucker Creek in the Illinois River Valley. The squared log house and two barns were enclosed with a stockade. The fort was abandoned for military purposes at the end of the war but remained standing until 1908.
Marker only in Josephine County, Oregon. The fort structure burned to the ground in 1908.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Fort Briggs Type: Historical Class: Locale ID: 863307
- Location: Josephine County, Oregon, US, FIPS Code: 41033
- Latitude: 42.1331697, Longitude: -123.6147889, Elevation: 1352 Map: Holland
- As Of: 1 Sep 1993
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Marker on Holland loop road, Sucker Creek, Josephine County, Oregon.
Maps & Images
Lat: 42.13333 Long: -123.61361
Recent Blog Posts:
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 365
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
Visited: 10 Nov 2012
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!