Fort Browning (1868-1872) - Established as a trading post in 1868. Named after Orville H. Browning, 9th U.S. Secretary of the Interior (1866-1869). Abandoned in 1872.
Location: Located about 2 miles northwest of Dodson,
Glacier County, Montana, off of Old Savoy Road.
Maps & Images
Lat: 48.43583 Long: -108.37083
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 2,290'
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 69
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 468