Fort Buchanan (1)
Fort Buchanan (1) (1856-1862) - A U.S. Army post established in 1856 as Camp Moore (1) by Major George A.H. Blake, 1st U.S. Dragoons in Santa Cruz County, Arizona. Named for Captain Benjamin D. Moore, 1st U.S. Dragoons, who was killed during the Battle of San Pascual during the Mexican War. Renamed on 29 May 1857 for President James Buchanan. Abandoned to confederate forces on 23 Jul 1861. Occupied by Confederates until abandoned to Union forces on 4 May 1862. Abandoned by Union forces shortly thereafter. Also known as Camp near Calabasas.
Private property, Santa Cruz County, Arizona