Fort Buhlow (1864-1865) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War earthworks fort established in 1864 near Pineville, Rapides Parish, Louisiana. Named Fort Buhlow after Confederate Lieutenant A. Buhlow. Abandoned in 1865. Also known as Fort Bulow.
Fort Buhlow was located on the east bank of the Red River on the north side of present-day U.S. 71. Fort Randolph (1), was built about 500 yards away on the south side of the highway. The two forts covered rapids that begin just north of Fort Buhlow and end near the south end of the site of Fort Randolph.
Construction on the forts began in June 1864. They were designed as defenses against an expected third Federal invasion up the Red River Valley. The two forts were named in honor of the construction engineers Christopher Meyer Randolph and Lieutenant A. Buhlow, his assistant. The forts saw no action.
After the war ended, both forts were turned over to General F. J. Herron's Union forces on 3 Jun 1865. Both were demolished for their lumber and brick.
In October 1928 historical markers were placed at both sites.
Part of Forts Randolph & Buhlow State Historic Site. Visitor center and marker. The Fort Randolph site is located behind the visitor's center.
Visited: 30 Oct 2020