Fort Bunker Hill (1)
Fort Bunker Hill (1) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War fort in Northeast Washington DC. Construction began in fall 1861 and was completed in 1863. Named for the Revolutionary War fort at Bunker Hill, Massachusetts. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Bunker Hill, Capt. Charles Heine commanding.–Garrison, withdrawn; works guarded by Fourteenth Michigan Battery, from Camp Barry–1 ordnance-sergeant. Armament, eight 32-pounder barbette, one 8-inch siege howitzer, one Coehorn mortar, one 10-inch siege mortar, one 4-inch ordnance, two 30-pounder Parrotts. Magazines, one; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Limited remains in Bunker Hill Park, Northeast Washington DC.
Visited: 25 May 2013