Fort Bunker Hill (2)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Bunker Hill (2) (1776-1783) - A Revolutionary War fortification established first as Independent Battery in 1776 in present day New York City, New York County, New York. Renamed Fort Bunker Hill upon completion after the hill it was upon (actually Bayard's Hill). Captured by the British in the 1776 Patriot loss of New York City. Returned to Patriot control in 1783 with the British evacuation of New York City. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war. Also known as Independent Battery and Bayard's Hill Redoubt

History of Fort Bunker Hill

Independent Battery/Fort Bunker Hill

Established by 16 Apr 1776 as Independent Battery on Bunker Hill (actually Bayard's Hill). A large fortification with sod-banked earthworks batteries armed with nine 8-pounders, four 3-pounders and six royal cohorns and mortars.

Fort Bunker Hill was captured by the British in the November 1776 Patriot loss of New York City and incorporated into the British defenses. It was returned to Patriot control on 25 Nov 1783 with the British evacuation of New York City.

Fort Bunker Hill was abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.

Current Status

No remains, said to have been within the blocks enclosed by Centre Street, Mott Street, Broome Street and Grand Street.


Location: New York City, New York County, New York.

Maps & Images

Lat: 40.71996 Long: -73.99707

See Also:

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 599.
  • Lossing, Benson J., Pictorial Field-Book of the Revolution Vol. II, New York, Harper and Brothers, 1859, Internet Archive, page 593.

Links:

Visited: No


Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox