|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Burgwin (1852-1860) - A U.S. Army post established as Cantonment Burgwin in 1852 by 2nd Lt. Robert Ransom (Cullum 1467), 1st U.S. Dragoons, in present day Taos County, New Mexico. Named for Captain John H.K. Burgwin (Cullum 614), 1st U.S. Dragoons, who was killed on 7 Feb 1847 at the storming of El Pueblo de Taos, New Mexico. Unofficially known as Fort Burgwin. Abandoned in 1860. Also known as Fort Fernando de Taos.
Fort Burgwin History
Now the SMU Taos campus with several rebuilt structures, Taos County, New Mexico. The rebuilt buildings are external replicas with modern interiors.
Location: Ten miles south of Taos, Taos County, New Mexico.
Maps & Images
Lat: 36.27556 Long: -105.57694
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 522-523
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 98
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 96
Fort Burgwin Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!