Fort Butler (3)
Fort Butler (3) (1838-1839, 1861-1864)) - A 2nd Seminole War Fort established in 1838 near Astor, Lake County, Florida. Named Fort Butler after Colonel Robert Butler, 4th U.S. Infantry. Abandoned in 1839 and reoccupied during the U.S. Civil War (1861-1864).
Fort Butler was established on 5 Nov 1838 and garrisoned by 2nd U.S. Dragoons and 2nd U.S. Infantry troops, under the command of Captain E. S. Winder. The fort was located on the west bank of the St. John's River opposite Volusia. It was placed to protect the river, which linked the garrisons in central Florida. On the opposite bank stood Fort Call.
The post was built as a crude log stockade and barracks for the garrison.
The fort was probably abandoned on 27 Apr 1839, when Captain Winder and his troops marched out against the Indians.
During the U.S. Civil War, Union troops were posted at Fort Butler to protect the river crossing. In May 1864, the famous Confederate guerrilla leader Capt J.J. Dickison, and his 2nd Cavalry crossed the river and raided Fort Butler, taking 88 infantrymen and 6 cavalrymen prisoners, with arms and equipment.
Roadside marker only. The actual fort site is now where Butler Street Boat Ramp is located.