Fort Campbell (4)
Fort Campbell (4) (1838-1838) - A Trail of Tears Fort first established in 1838 near Hightower, Forsyth County, Georgia. Probably named for Duncan G. Campbell, who negotiated the 1825 Treaty of Indian Springs. Abandoned in 1838.
History of Fort Campbell
Established April to June 1838 to temporarily house Cherokee Removals.
The remnants of the Cherokee Nation were rounded up in 1838 by Federal forces and Georgia Militia and pressed into military stockades for eventual removal to reservations in the western Indian Territory. U.S. General Winfield Scott oversaw the operation but lacked control over the militia units. Some 7,000 U.S. Soldiers and Georgia Militia forced some 15,000 Cherokee Indians into stockades and held them for removal. The condition were terrible in the stockades and on the trail to the Indian Territory and many of the Cherokees died before reaching the new reservations. As many as 4,000 Cherokees may have died in the stockades and on the 800 mile journey west. The removal process and the conditions of removal came to be known as the "Trail of Tears".
This post abandoned in June 1838.
No remains in Forsyth County, Georgia. The actual site has not been positively identified.