Fort Canajoharie (1747-1752, 1755-1763) - A King George's War Fort established in 1747 near the present day town of Danube, Herkimer County, New York. Named Fort Canajoharie after the locale. Abandoned in 1752. Restablished as Fort Hendrick in 1755 during the French & Indian War and again abandoned in 1763.
Confusion between the two different forts makes it difficult to know which one is being discussed in the different sources. It seems clear that there were two different forts with the first fort being called Fort Canajoharie (or not named) and the second fort called Fort Hendrick. It is not clear where each fort was located and how far apart they were or what years each operated. Two descriptions of the location(s) are available:
These could be two different locations or a single location. For purposes here it is assumed that Fort Canajoharie (1747-1752) was at or near the same location that Fort Hendrick (1755-1763) was later built. The terrain has been greatly modified by the Erie Barge Canal and New York Thruway road construction and the exact sites are lost. The map point and GPS coordinates below approximate Location #1 above and may not be accurate.
Fort Canajoharie (1747-1752)
Established in 1747 during King George's War to protect the Upper Castle of the Mohawks who were British allies. The Upper Castle was built on the flats just below Nowadaga Creek along the Mohawk River. Reportedly built as a small 150 foot square stockade with two 24 foot square blockhouses.
Fort Hendrick (1755-1763)
Established in 1755 during the French & Indian War by Sir William Johnson to protect the Upper Castle of the Mohawks who were still British allies. Named for the Mohawk "King" Hendrick Theyanoguin, who was killed at the Battle of Lake George on 8 Sep 1755.
The Fort was built as a square 15' high stockade measuring 100 paces on each side with portholes, an interior platform with small cannons at each corner bastion. Buildings on each wall were used for stores and barracks. The colonial garrison consisted of one Officer and about 25 men.
Abandoned about 1763-64, toward the end of the war.
No remains, two separate markers, one for each fort name.