Fort Carleton (2)
Fort Carleton (2) (1790-1824, 1837-1847) - A British colonial fort established in 1790 by Lt. Governor Thomas Carleton in present day Grand Falls, Victoria County, New Brunswick, Canada. Named for Lt. Governor Thomas Carleton. Abandoned in 1847.
Fort Carleton (2) History
Fort Carleton was originally built with six squared log buildings located adjacent to the Grand Falls portage. The post came to encompass some 158 acres in what is present day Great Falls. The fort was rebuilt in April 1839 in preparation for the border conflict with the United States known as the Aroostook War. The rebuilt post included barracks for 210 soldiers along with a guardhouse, powder magazine and support buildings all surrounded by a stockade. The parade ground occupied the wide area that is now Broadway Street.
The last troops departed the fort in 1847 and in September 1848 two of the barracks buildings burned down.
Only a marker remains in the center of Broadway Street in Grand Falls, Victoria County, New Brunswick, Canada.
Visited: 14 Jul 2013