Fort Chene (1861-1863) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1861 near present day Morgan City, St. Mary Parish, Louisiana. Abandoned by Confederate troops and occupied by Union forces in 1862 after the capture of New Orleans. Abandoned by Union forces in 1863 and briefly reoccupied by Confederate forces.
History of Fort Chene
Established in 1861 at Mossey Point near the junction of Bayou Chene and Bayou Shafer in St. Mary Parish. The fort was located below Brashear City (now Morgan City) and like Fort Berwick guarded the bayou approaches to that city from the Gulf. Construction began in May 1861 and was completed in August 1861.
Described by Confederate Major General John L. Lewis as being "...of much less importance than Fort Berwick" because of the shallow draft of the bayous.
The fort was an earthworks with a ditch surrounded glacis, a stockade and small barracks. By December 1861 it was armed with two 24 pounder pivot guns, four 24 pounder cannons and one rifled 32 pounder. It could control both Bayou approaches.
Abandoned on 10 Jun 1862 after New Orleans fell to Union forces. The Confederate garrison removed to Camp Moore and the fort was occupied by Union forces until 10 Jun 1863. Confederate forces reoccupied the fort later in June but abandoned it in July 1863.
Unknown, the course of the bayous could have changed over time and the exact site is not known.
Location: Below Morgan City, St. Mary Parish, Louisiana. The map point is approximate from the written description and may not be accurate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 29.61103 Long: -91.18104
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 334.
- War of the Rebellion: Serial 006 Page 0736 OPERATIONS IN W. FLA., S. ALA., S. MISS., AND LA.
- North American Forts - Fort Chene
- Bill Thayer's Website - Kendall's History of New Orleans, page 270.