|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Christmas History
One of a chain of about 200 forts established during the Second Seminole War across Florida.
Established on Christmas day, 25 Dec 1837 by troops under the command of BG Abraham Eustis as a part of chain of forts built during the Second Seminole War. A large force of over 2000 troops, 1000 horses and 70 wagons arrived at a location selected by General Eustis close to the St. John's River and built the fort in a week. Fort Christmas was a palmetto log, 80 foot square, palisaded fort with two blockhouses, one on the southwest corner and one on the northeast corner. The fort was garrisoned with two companies of troops when completed. The fort was abandoned sometime in 1845 as the Second Seminole War came to an end.
A reproduction of the fort is located at the Fort Christmas County Park, Florida. The reproduction is not on the exact location of the original fort and the original site is said to be about a mile north of the reproduction. Nothing remains at the original site.
Location: The map point is the location of the reproduction at Fort Christmas County Park, Florida.
Maps & Images Lat: 28.560404 Long: -81.020943
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 157
Visited: 31 Jan 2010
Fort Christmas Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!