Fort Cibolo (1857-18??) - A private fort established in 1857 as the headquarters of the Milton Faver ranching empire that covered Presidio County, Texas. Named after Cibolo Creek. Also known as El Fortin de Cibolo and Fort Big Springs Cibolo.
Fort Cibolo History
Fort Cibolo was constructed of 3 to 4 foot thick adobe walls with circular watch towers at two corners. The post was used by detachments of U.S. Soldiers from Fort Davis (1) and Fort Leaton.
Reconstructed and restored. Map location is for the town of Shafter, local directions are needed.
Location: Northwest of Shafter, Texas. Map location is for the town of Shafter, local directions are needed.
Maps & Images
Lat: 29.8192 Long: -104.307332
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 146
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, Page 156