Fort Clinch (2) (1850-1850) - A U.S. Army post established in 1850 during hostilities between the Second Seminole War and the Third Seminole War. Located near present day Frostproof, Polk County, Florida. Named for General Duncan L. Clinch. Abandoned in 1850.
A stockaded U.S. Army post established 13 Jan 1850 and garrisoned by two companies of the 7th U.S. Infantry and one company of the 1st U.S. Artillery.
The post was abandoned 8 Jun 1850.
Unknown, site near Frostproof, Polk County, Florida
Location: Near Frostproof, Polk County, Florida. Map point is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 27.7557093 Long: -81.5339184
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: .....'
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 158