Fort Coontz (1812-1815) - A War of 1812 settler fort established in 1812 near Cottleville, Cottleville County, Missouri. Named Fort Coontz after Colonel John Coontz and Nicholas Coontz. Abandoned as a fortification in 1815. Also known as Coontz Fort, Koontz Fort, Coonz Fort and Kountz Fort.
History of Fort Coontz
A settler fort which seems to have been erected about 1800; located along Boone's Lick Road, about eight miles west of St. Charles, Missouri. Built as a log structure by the Coontz brothers as a protection against Indian attacks. The misspelling of the name of the two brothers has resulted in misnaming the fort: even on the commemorative boulder marking the site, where it is spelled "Kountz".
After the close of the War of 1812 in 1815, the fort became a tavern.