|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Cooper (1836-1836) - A temporary post established in 1836 by Major Mark Anthony Cooper, 1st Georgia Volunteers, in Citrus County, Florida. Abandoned in 1836.
Fort Cooper History
A temporary fort established 1 Apr 1836 by Major Mark Anthony Cooper, 1st Georgia Volunteers. The new fort came under attack by several hundred hostile Seminole Indians for 13 straight days. The fort was a square palisade with two redoubts and a two story blockhouse with a 6-pounder cannon mounted in it.
The fort was completed in five days and the volunteers were able to beat off the attacks. The post was abandoned after 18 days, on 18 Apr 1836.
The site was used by the Confederates during the U.S. Civil War until it was captured by Union forces in February 1864.
Part of Fort Cooper State Park, Citrus County, Florida
Location: Fort Cooper State Park, Citrus County, Florida.
Maps & Images
Lat: 28.80376 Long: -82.30701
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 159
Fort Cooper Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!