Fort Couch (1863-1865) - Built in 1863 as a Federal U.S. Civil War fort guarding Harrisburg, the capital of Pennsylvania.
Fort Couch History
Fort Couch was built in June of 1863 under the direction of General Darius Couch (Cullum 1284) to protect Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and Fort Washington to the east. The line of forts built on the west bank of the Susquehanna River were built to protect Harrisburg, which lay on the east bank of the river.
The borough of Lemoyne owns land containing partial remains of Fort Couch. In the 1950s this portion of the earthworks were cleared by the Lemoyne Civic Club and a historical marker placed.
Fort Couch Park in Lemoyne, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania.
Visited: Jul 2014
Fort Couch Picture Gallery