Fort Covington (1)
Fort Covington (1) (1812-1814) - A War of 1812 Fort first established in 1812 near French Mills, Franklin County, New York. Named Fort Covington after Brigadier General Leonard Covington who was mortally wounded in the Battle of Chrysler's Field on 11 Nov 1813 in Upper Canada. Abandoned and destroyed by the British in 1814.
History of Fort Covington
Established in 1812 by General Wade Hampton as a palisaded fortification with four blockhouses. The Garrison was transferred to Sackett's harbor in 1814. The British occupied the fort on 19 Feb 1914 and destroyed it.
Town of Fort Covington, Franklin County, New York.