Fort Craven (2)
Fort Craven (2) (1756-1756) - A colonial French & Indian War Fort established in 1756 in Rome, Oneida County, New York. Named Fort Craven after Mayor Charles Craven. Abandoned in 1756. Also known as Fort Pentagon.
History of Fort Craven
Established in 1756 to replace the destroyed Fort Bull but not completed before it was ordered destroyed on 31 Aug 1756. The destruction of the fort (and all the forts in Rome) was ordered by Brigadier General Daniel Web after a large French force under General Montcalm captured Fort Oswego, Fort Ontario and Fort George on 14 Aug 1756. At the time of its destruction, three of its five bastions were completed.
No remains, marker only. Marker appears to be missing.