Fort Cummings (2)
Fort Cummings (2) (1814-1815) - An American War of 1812 Fort established in 1814 in present day Brooklyn, Kings County, New York. Abandoned as a fortification in 1815 at the end of the war. Also known as Redoubt Cummings.
History of Fort Cummings
Established in 1814 as an American War of 1812 fort (redoubt) in the defense of Brooklyn, New York. Built on the site of the Revolutionary War Oblong Redoubt as a square earthwork redoubt armed with 12-pounder cannon.
This fortification was established, along with many others, in response to the threat of British invasion and subsequent burning of Washington DC on 24 Aug 1814. The british attack was in retaliation for the American raids into Canada. The ease with which the British took Washington alarmed New Yorkers who thought they would soon be next and they redoubled their efforts on the defenses. The Mayor of New York, DeWitt Clinton mobilized thousands of city residents and organization them into construction gangs and built fortifications all around the city, including across the river in Brooklyn.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1815 at the end of the war.
No remains. Location identified as at the intersection of DeKalb and Hudson Avenue in Brooklyn, New York.