Fort Dauphin (1)
Fort Dauphin (1) (1741-1759) - A French fur trading fort established in 1739 for Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye near present day Winnipegosis, Manitoba. Named Fort Dauphin after the Dauphin, prince of France. Abandoned in 1759.
History of Fort Dauphin
Established in 1741 for Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye, who sent his son Pierre from Fort La Reine to build Fort Dauphin at the mouth of the Mossy River at Lake Winnipegosis at or near the present day town of Winnipegosis.
The fort was attacked by Indians in 1743 and rebuilt on a new site further upriver. Abandoned in 1759.